Article Abstract

Thoracoscopic segmentectomy: hybrid approach for clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer

Authors: Koyo Shirahashi, Hirotaka Yamamoto, Mitsuyoshi Matsumoto, Yusaku Miyamaoto, Hiroyasu Komuro, Kiyoshi Doi, Hisashi Iwata

Abstract

Background: Recently, minimally invasive surgical approaches have been developed, typified by video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS). A meticulous surgical procedure to prevent local recurrence is required during segmentectomy for clinical stage I non-small-cell primary lung cancer. In this article, we demonstrated the validity of hybrid VATS segmentectomy.
Methods: Of these 125 patients, 62 (49.6%) underwent intensively radical segmentectomy (RS). The remaining 63 (50.4%) patients underwent palliative segmentectomy (PS). We used two 2-cm ports and performed a muscle-sparing mini-thoracotomy in which a partially open metal retractor allowed direct, thoracoscopic visualization as hybrid VATS segmentectomy in 63.2% of our cases.
Results: The consolidation/tumor ratio obtained with thin-sliced computed tomography was significantly lower in RS cases than in PS cases (P=0.001). The proportion of pathological stage IA cases was significantly higher in RS cases (95.2%) than in PS cases (66.7%; P<0.01). Five-year overall survival (OS) for clinical stage I was 100.0% in RS cases and 73.5% in PS cases (log-rank P<0.001). Five-year disease-free survival (DFS) was 95.5% and 55.7%, respectively (log-rank P<0.001).
Conclusions: During segmentectomy, the most critical consideration is establishment of sufficient surgical margins around the cancer. Our hybrid approach that includes meticulous surgical manipulations may produce sufficient surgical margins.