Servet Bölükbas, MD, PhD, FETCS, FCCP, FEBTS
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Essen, Germany
Dr. Servet Bölükbas is a Senior Consultant Thoracic Surgeon and Chairman/Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kliniken Essen-Mitte in Essen, Germany.
Previously, he chaired the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Helios University Hospital Wuppertal, Germany (2014-2018). During that time, he was Director of the Lung Cancer Center Program (NCI-designated), and the Center for asbestos-related diseases.
Dr. Bölükbas has been a visiting physician at several US centers (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Toronto General Hospital, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, University of Southern California Los Angeles, etc.).
He has authored more than 100 articles published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and book chapters in the field of Thoracic Surgery. He is currently Assistant Editor of the European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Currently, he serves as Council member (Board of Directors) of the German Society for Thoracic Surgery (DGT).
His main clinical and research interests focus on:
- Lung-saving resections (sleeve resections, segmentectomies) instead of pneumonectomy of lobectomy
- Lung-sparing surgery for malignant pleural mesothelioma
- Extended Surgery for lung cancer (e.g. invading the spine, chest wall, vena cava superior, etc.)
- Surgery for pulmonary metastases
- Multimodality treatment of thoracic cancers
- Thoracic surgery for pediatrics and adolescents