Article Abstract

PNUTS at the crossroads of tumorigenesis and metastasis formation

Authors: Nicole Kiweler, Oliver H. Krämer

Abstract

Around 75% of the human genome is transcribed (1,2). Of these genomic transcripts, at most 2% encode functional proteins within their open reading frames. The remaining 98% are non-coding RNAs that lack open reading frames. This majority of RNAs consists to 20% of short noncoding RNAs. These are 20–200 nt in length and include the subgroup of micro RNAs (miRNAs).